Friday, April 11, 2014

Is Communion REALLY worth it?

B stared, open mouthed with disbelief. "Really? I can't go to the children's mass today?" "Really," I assured him. "You have to sit through regular mass today. You're going to be old enough to receive communion soon, so the priest wants you to understand what it's like to sit through regular mass." B somewhat complied, fidgeting on the bench when forced to sit and dancing vigorously as soon as hymns were sung. He raised his hands expectantly when it came time for Communion but Simone reminded him that he hadn't gone through the sacrament yet. By the time mass ended, at 11:30, B's expression had turned into a full blown scowl. "Let's go!" He urged me, tugging on my arm. "I'm hungry because I didn't get any church cookie." "Unfortunately, we can't leave yet. Apparently they want us to sit through a meeting because you're going to go through Communion soon." B glared briefly then resumed fidgeting on the seat. He fidgeted through the speech that lasted 5, 10, 15, 20 minutes. He poked my ribs. "I have a queshtion for the priesht." "No," I hissed, fearing the worst. "No questions." "Why?" "Because if you ask a question then the priest will have to answer it and we'll be stuck here longer," I whispered hurriedly. Unfortunately, on the heels of my answer, the priest asked, "Are there any questions?" B's hand shot up. And only B's hand shot up. So, of course, the priest pointed to B. "When is this over?" B asked. I slunk back on the bench, fervently praying that God might allow the earth to open up and swallow me whole but the priest didn't miss a beat. "That's JUST what I was going to say! This is over."

No comments: