Monday, December 15, 2014

Waiting in line...

Today, I went to the bookstore to purchase a couple of books for my mother's upcoming birthday. I found one of the books I wanted but then went to the cash register because they didn't have the second book on the shelves. "I'll have to order it for you," the clerk said. "It'll take a few minutes. Do you mind if I let the lady behind you pay for her purchases first?" But the lady behind me said no, she'd wait. No hurry. My order took 15 minutes to process! And the lady behind me waited patiently, chatting amiably with me and the clerk. When it came time to pay for my books, I pulled out two $10 off cards. The clerk said she could only use one of them as the offer was only valid on in-store books. "You can come back and use the other one before Friday," she smiled. I thought about this for a moment and decided that I would probably not be back before Friday. I turned around and gave the discount to the lady who had so patiently waited behind me in line. I'm not sure whether this constitutes a good deed but I do know it put a smile in my heart.

No comments: