Friday, February 3, 2012

Lunchtime in the kindergarden class


Simone wandered through the school hallways and meandered into the Senior Kindergarden classroom. It was little B's classroom - but also many of Simone's old playmates from the previous year learned there. Simone was looking forward to seeing them.

"Madame!" One little boy eagerly put his hand up. "I have something to show you!"

Simone hurried over and oohed and ahed over the boy's sandwich. "I still like mustard," he confided, showing her a streak of mustard inside the sandwich. "I like it a lot."

Another boy put his hand up. "My baby sister was born last week," he said when Simone reached him. "And I found an anthill just outside the door in my backyard but Mom says I'm not allowed to bring ants into the house."

"My mom says the same thing to me," the little girl next to him commiserated.

Simone went to see little B who snuggled into her. "Do your mom and dad still write you messages in your lunch box?" Simone asked little B's table-mate.

The little girl nodded, her chin retreating into her chest as she bit her lip. Then she pulled out her white paper napkin. Someone had written "I love you" in blue ink on it. Simone smiled. "That is just lovely, little S! You are so lucky to have such wonderful parents!"

Little S nodded, a shy smile curling up her lips.

Lunch hour ended all too soon but thankfully the visit had left a healing balm on Simone's heart. There is nothing like children's conversations to brighten up a dreary day...

No comments: