Friday, March 13, 2015

Salted sheep

Salted sheep are sheep raised near the water's edge in Brittany. The grass they eat is watered by the sea tide that rolls in and out so that when the sheep are slaughtered, their meat tastes naturally salty from the grass. "I don't know how good this will be," hubby says doubtfully. "Everyone is running late." He is under a great deal of stress, given that my father has declared that he highly doubts my husband is remotely capable of cooking the meat to the required degree of rare. "You'd better take it out of the oven then," I tell him. "We'll put it back in when everyone is here." "What if there isn't enough time to cook it!" "There'll be enough time. Remember we'll have cocktails? And appetizers. It'll be fine. And less cooked is better than overcooked." He raises his eyebrow at me, expressing his doubt again, but takes the meat out. (That was my sole and only contribution to dinner. Amen.)

No comments: