Friday, March 25, 2011

On the subject of friends


A little boy came up to Simone. "Madame! I wanted to play with them and little K didn't want me to play. Little K pushed me down. And then he punched me in the face!"

Simone, who knew little K, asked the other boy, "Why would you want to play with little K?"

The little boy sniffed. "I don't want to play with him. But my friend is playing with him and I want to play with my friend!"

Simone took the little boy with her and approached the group of boys responsible for the misdeed. "Okay," she said. "Little K, did you push and hit this boy."

"Yes," said little K. "I didn't want to play with him."

"Little K, you don't have to play with him but you need to use your words. Pushing and hitting is not the right way to communicate."

Little K stared at Simone with empty eyes.

Simone addressed the little victim's erstwhile friend. "Did you want to play with little A?"

"I did," admitted the child. "But little K didn't."

"You realize," said Simone, "that when you decide to play with someone who hits your friends and you just watch, you are not being a good friend?"

The child hung his head down.

"Little K, you need to say sorry to little A," Simone said.

"I'm sorry," little K said with no emotion.

"You too need to say you're sorry," Simone said to little A's friend.

"I'm sorry," he muttered, not lifting his head.

And then the bell rang...

No comments: