Tuesday, July 21, 2009

It's 4 am and you're STILL not asleep????


Due to circumstances beyond her control at this time, Simone's alarm clock rings at 3 am every morning. She is up and at 'em by 4 am. As sordid as this might sound to some, Simone looks forward to her early mornings. She gets her chores done in quiet surroundings, hampered only by the dog's perennial longing for food. Or bits of food. Or anything smelling remotely of food.

So this morning, when the 13 year old bounced down the steps at 4:25 am, Simone was less than pleased. Especially as it became apparent that the boy was full of bouncy, flouncy fun fun fun. He had imbibed, at a relatively late hour, two energy drinks.

"Can I have you iPhone so I can play some games?"

"No," said Simone.

"Can I? Huh? Can I?"

"No."

"How about can I go for a jog? Huh? Can I? Can I?"

"No."

"I'm hungry. I'm going to eat lasagna. And look! Pizza slices! Yum!"

"No," said Simone, wondering whether she'd get ANY quiet time this morning and deciding that it was unlikely.

"No what?"

"No, you cannot eat lasagna and pizza at 4 am. You can have breakfast but later."

"Well what time do you eat breakfast?"

"I eat breakfast at 6:30 am," replied Simone.

"What about chores? Can I do some chores? What do you do at 4 in the morning?"

"I prepare dinner so it's easy to put it together in the evening. I sweep. I..."

"That's it! I'll sweep!"

"It's probably a good idea to wait until I finish brushing the dog," suggested Simone, pointing to the dog fur flying away from the brush.

"Good point," admitted the boy.

And at 6 am, he's still sharing the family room with Simone, asking her to look at his incredible poker hands every, oh, 30 seconds.

Note to self: after locking down the house for the night, hound out all energy drinks and hide them well out of the kids' reaches...

No comments: