Friday, July 25, 2014

Probably it's time to take a rest then

I decided that today would be a perfect day to get some skateboarding practice in with B. The sky was overcast. It wasn't too hot. It wasn't cold. I had all the gear ready: knee and elbow and wrist protectors, a helmet, closed toed running shoes and, of course, the skateboard. I waited for B to get off the bus. I waited some more. B was taking an unusual length of time to get off the bus. Sigh... Finally, with the traffic stopped in both directions and people craning their necks in their cars to see what the holdup was, B hobbled off the bus with a large yellow cardboard folder, his backpack and his jacket precariously perched in his arms. We made our slow way across the road (more craning of necks) and dropped his belongings on the steps toward the house. "So," I said, smiling, "How about some skateboarding practice today?" His gaze turned down toward his feet and that's when I noticed what he was trying to draw my attention to: a set of bandages crossed over his left knee. "Uh oh," I said. "What happened?" "I don't know," he admitted. "But I was playing and having fun when a girl pointed to my knee at recess and said, 'B! You're bleeding!' and I went 'AAAAAHHHHHHH!'" (Here he screeches at the top of his lungs). "So no skateboarding?" He shakes his head solemnly. "I was BLEEDING. AAAAAAAAAH!" He screeches again. Sigh...

No comments: