Monday, January 12, 2009

Lost in the Dark in St-Palais-sur-mer


To say that the tension mounted in the car as Simone and hubby drove down the darkened streets of St-Palais searching for a street that neither the GPS nor local maps acknowledged as existing... that would be a HUGE understatement.

Simone asked hubby to drive up to a couple who were out walking in the flower-named streets with their son.

"Excuse me, do you know where the rue des Cys, Cyt-something might be located?" Simone inquired.

The woman knew indeed where the street was located. She gave some directions. The woman's husband whispered something about big stones.

"If I tell them those directions, they'll get lost for sure," snapped the woman. "At least this way, they'll know where the street is located."

Simone and hubby drove off, a little puzzled by this altercation but relieved to have at last found Simone's uncle's street.

Unfortunately, the cryptic large stone statement lost its ambiguity shortly. The street leading to the rue des Cytises was blocked by three large stones. Simone's husband has a superb sense of direction though and, having ascertained the general whereabouts of the street, managed to get back to it in short order.

"Right," he said, "now what's their house number?"

"Um, I don't have it," admitted Simone shamefacedly.

Simone's husband sighed. "Okay, well let's call your uncle then."

"I wish I could. I thought I had my phone book with me but I apparently left it back in Normandy."

"What about your father? Can we call him?"

"Um, I don't know his number in France."

"Well," Simone's husband nearly shouted with exasperation, "how do you propose we find the house? Shall we just sit here in the car and wait for your uncle to call to find out where we are?"

Simone thought that might be a fine idea - but she knew that the stress level in the car would increase unless she took some action.

"I have an idea!" She exclaimed, anxious to jump out of the car.

No comments: