Monday, June 11, 2012

I write note

Simone attempted yet another time to explain her dilemma to the doctor in the emergency department. "You see, little B has pneumonia," she repeated. "Yes," agreed the doctor, nodding sagely. "And tonsillitis.." "Yes. And we are scheduled to leave for France this Friday and I am concerned that he could make other people on the plane sick. Plus we will be visiting my grandmother who has recently had heart complications. So I would like you to write a letter explaining that it might be best to cancel our trip so that I can give the letter to the airlines if we have to cancel." Another poor explanation, Simone thought but she was mentally exhausted, what with another 4 hour wait at the hospital in as many days. Fortunately, the doctor seemed to understand what was required of him this time. "I write note," he announced triumphantly, heading out of the room. "I come back." And come back he did, with a tiny note written on one of the hospital's prescription pads, at the top of which a patient label had been pasted. Simone peered at it. "Who's Gwendolyn?" She asked. "Kwendal?" The doctor's effort at repeating the name failed. "Oh!" His frown smoothed over. "It is your neighbour. No worry. I change." And he tore off Gwendolyn's name, pasting little B's name on the slightly torn pad paper. "There. All fixed." The doctor beamed.

No comments: