Thursday, October 30, 2014

Sometimes, even the best plans fail...

I called my grandmother to let her know we would come by to see her today. No answer. I left a message. A mild disquiet filled me. I'd told her I would come by on Saturday a few days prior. I'd called last night and left a message. I called again: still no answer. B and I drove an hour and a half from Normandy to my grandmother's apartment building and rang the doorbell. No answer. Rang again. No answer. Someone kindly let us into the building. We rang the doorbell of her apartment in the hallway. No answer. Five times we rang: still no answer. "Okay, let's go to the mall, B," I said. "Yay!" He shouted. We played, ate and shopped for three hours, calling my grandmother's apartment intermittently to no avail. I made a final call at 5 pm and we drove back to Normandy. We had barely made it into the house when the neighbour came over. "Your grandmother called me," she said. "She told me to tell you that she fell asleep with her headphones on and couldn't hear the doorbell. Or the phone. She wanted to know when you'd be back." Well geez...

No comments: